The ASAP is still alone in its capabilities as a mobile fall arrester and a rope access backup device. Improved greatly from its original design, this model is more compact than ever.
The "set it and forget it" approach that Petzl have taken, means you don't have to constantly adjust the device when moving around on the ropes. It follows you up and down and only kicks in when you need it most.
We use this device in our swing stage rescue kits so operators can focus on using the motor controls and not have to think about their fall arrest device.
Another benefit we particularly like is that it is panic proof. If your reflex is to grab anything nearby in the event of a fall (that's most of us!) this will still activate, unlike cammed devices with exposed levers (think Shunt, Duck etc)
The only real drawback about this device is it can be a bit pricey for some people's budget. I personally believe it is an essential part your kit if you are serious about your work.
Here is what Petzl say-
- Constant fall protection:
- arrests falls, slides, and uncontrolled descents
- works on vertical or angled rope
- locks on the rope even if grabbed during the fall
- Simple to use, and effective;
- moves up or down the rope without any manual manipulation of the device
- easy to install and remove at any point on the rope
- may be combined with an ASAP’SORBER energy absorbing lanyard to work at a distance from the rope
- Comes with a OK TRIACT-LOCK automatic locking carabiner
- Material(s): aluminum, stainless steel
- Certification(s): CE EN 353-2, CE EN 12841 type A, EAC
- Weight: 370 g (295 g for ASAP and 75 g for OK TRIACT-LOCK)