Petzl ASAP Lock Rope Access Back up Device
Petzl ASAP Lock
The ASAP is still alone in its capabilities as a mobile fall arrester and a rope access backup device. Improved greatly from its original design, this model is more compact than ever. The "Lock" version caters more for rope access technicians and can be installed and removed with the need to disconnect from the device. This eliminates the possibility to drop it by accident.
The "set it and forget it" approach that Petzl have taken, means you don't have to constantly adjust the device when moving around on the ropes. It follows you up and down and only kicks in when you need it most.
The "lock" function on the device allows the user to keep the device in position on the rope. This helps prevent undesirable fall factors occuring.
Another benefit we particularly like is that it is panic proof. If your reflex is to grab anything nearby in the event of a fall (that's most of us!) this will still activate, unlike cammed devices with exposed levers (think Shunt, Duck etc)
The only real drawback about this device is it can be a bit pricey for some people's budget. I personally believe it is an essential part your rope access equipment kit if you are serious about your work.
Here is what Petzl say-
- Constant fall protection:
- arrests falls, slides, and uncontrolled descents
- works on vertical or angled rope
- locks on the rope even if grabbed during the fall
- Integrated locking function allows the user to immobilize the device to reduce the length of a fall. In case of a strong wind, this function also prevents the rope from being blown upward.
- Simple to use, and effective:
- moves up or down the rope without any manual manipulation of the device
- easy to install and remove at any point on the rope
- connection arm makes the system loss-resistant when passing intermediate anchors
- is used with an ASAP’SORBER energy absorbing lanyard to work at a distance from the rope
- Material(s): aluminum, stainless steel, nylon
- Certification(s): CE EN 353-2, CE EN 12841 type A, EAC
- Weight: 425 g